Working to Preserve the History of Our Neighborhood
The History and Archive Committee’s mission is to collect, preserve and share the history of our unique neighborhood with Point Association members, researchers and other interested parties. Please find below an overview of what our archives contain.
We are in the process of digitizing our archives. To view the photos we currently have digitized please click this link to our Flikr Pro page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/146411860@N03/albums
Other online photo collections:
Providence Public Library Digital Collections
Newport Historical Society Gladys Online Collection Database
If you are interested in joining the History and Archives Committee, please email us at HistoryandArchives@ThePointAssociation.org.
The Point Association’s Archive
Our archives include:
Photos and Documents
- Houses and buildings Photos on our Flikr Pro Account
- Enjoy an article article about houses that were moved from, to and around the Point in the Winter 2017 issue of the Green Light.
- Learn about houses that have been moved to, around or from The Point.
- Prominent people who live(d) in the Point including Family Photo Albums from
The Manuel Family Album
The Vars Family Album
- Articles about the history of the Point including infrastructure, parks and events
- Learn about the Catboats of the Point. These links bring up additional articles: Part 1, Part 2.
Books and Journals
- Newport Directories.pdf
- Journal of the Newport Historical Society.pdf
- Nautical and Marine
- Plat Maps on our Flikr Pro Account
- Tourist Maps
- Marine/US Corp of Engineer Maps
Point Association Information since our founding in 1955
- The Green Light
- Meeting Notes
To request information from our archives, please email us at: HistoryandArchives@thepointassocation.org
We are a volunteer group, so please allow time for us to respond.
How to Research the History of Your House
In addition to the Point Association’s Archives, there are many other valuable resources to help you research the history of your house.
- The Top of the Hill Neighborhood Association has written an excellent guide. They have given us permission to share it: Researching Your Newport House.pdf
- The Newport Historical Society also has written a helpful guide to researching your home. NRF How to Research Your House.pdf
- The State of Rhode Island Historic Property Search also provides information on historic homes. Historic Property Search
Organizations That Have Helped Us
Much gratitude and thanks is due to the following organizations who have advised our History and Archives Committee. We encourage everyone to support these organizations and to take advantage of the many interesting programs and tours they offer.
- Newport Restoration Foundation http://www.newportrestoration.org
- The Preservation Society of Newport County http://www.newportmansions.org
- Newport Historical Society http://www.newporthistory.org
- Redwood Library and Antenaeum http://www.redwoodlibrary.org
We also would like to thank Salve Regina University for their continued guidance in organizing, properly storing and digitizing the materials in our archives.
Here are a few of the photos from our archives
If you have historical photos of the Point feel free to add them here. If you would like us to scan your photos we would be pleased to scan them, return the originals to you along with a scanned copy and add the scans to our archives.
Please upload images in images manager section. Click on Manage Images button on the right side of the gallery settings.
Please make sure that you didn't enabled option: Images of the Current Gallery. Option should have Show value to show images.